52 good reasons to take singing lessons!
Are you planning on taking singing lessons? A beautiful decision! I’ll tell you why.
Singing lessons do not only lead to a better technique but beautify the whole life:
• 1. singing is fun!
Musicality – singing lessons promote musicality
• 2. singing lessons promote the musical feeling. The voice is generated directly by our body. It is, so to speak, the most natural instrument in the world. Every person has an unmistakable timbre and can produce different timbres. There is no other instrument in the world with so many variation possibilities.
• 3. you can merge with other instruments. To make music with piano, guitar, organ etc., to sing in an ensemble, in a band or even with orchestra.
• 4. you learn most effectively how to intonate cleanly during singing lessons.
• 5. In singing lessons you learn best how to phrase musically.
Well-being/Psyche – Singing leads to more well-being
• 7. You’re getting more confident. By expressing your feelings through your voice, you get to know each other better. You’ll gain confidence that way.
• 7. Singing helps against depression. How often have I experienced that my students come into singing lessons bent and chirp out again.
• 8. Singing makes you happy! I’m sure you’ve caught yourself humming when you’re happy. The same also works vice versa.
• 9. their emotional world is expanding. The characters of the protagonists do not necessarily have to correspond to yours. They thus feel and think about sensations that they may not have known before. New perspectives are opening up.
• 10. They learn to let go. You can’t learn music purely intellectually. Too much to think about when making music makes you stiff and firm. Another kind of concentration takes place: They must relax internally so that the musical phrases can flow. This also creates a more beautiful sound.
• 11. voice and psyche are strongly connected. You will notice that many of the things you notice in your voice are also reflected in your personality structure. This allows you to work on yourself at the same time during singing lessons.
Health – Singing promotes your health
• 12. Singing promotes health. The immune system of the human body is activated after only a few minutes of singing. The oxygen supply to the organs improves.
• 13. the stress hormone adrenalin is broken down while singing.
• 14. When singing, her whole body is used. It can be like sports and keeps you fit.
• 15. They live longer! In singing lessons you will learn an optimal breathing technique. If you use your lungs/diaphragm optimally, you can prolong your life.
• 16. Singing helps you lose weight. When you learn to sing from your body, you consume an enormous amount of calories. I always wonder about corpulent colleagues. You have to eat mountains! I take at least 5 meals a day to myself not to disappear. But with cream, please!
• 17. They will automatically eat a healthier diet. If you go to singing class and have eaten fast food before, you’ll find that you can’t muster the power you need.
• 18. They’re less sick. Not only because the immune system is activated while singing: You’re so excited about singing lessons, you won’t allow your neck to catch a cold. A lot can be achieved with a little psychosomatic medicine.
Body awareness – your body awareness is trained during singing lessons
• 19. singing lessons promote coordination in the body. Many muscles have to play together precisely so that you can produce the sound you want. You will get to grips with this through a lot of practice.
• 20. in singing lessons you will learn to set your whole body in vibration. There’s nothing more pleasant!
• 21. singing lessons can make headaches go away. Many people have headaches because they have a stiff jaw. Since the jaw muscles are very strong, the slightest stress is enough to tense up.
• 22. your singing teacher will teach you a good posture. For singing this must be optimal. The overall body perception improves.
• 23. I’ll get right on it: They prevent back pain. The posture has a direct influence on the sound of the voice. The more you deal with your voice, the more important it becomes for you that your back stays straight in everyday life (e.g. when speaking).
• 24. In singing class, you can decide how far you want to go. A little tralala to relax? Or studying at a local college of music? For each level it is important that you have a highly qualified singing teacher.
• 25 You can take your instrument with you wherever you go for singing lessons or practice. You carry it inside you.
• 26. Singing connects. In the choir you will find new friends and a community. Together you pursue beautiful musical goals.
• 27. If you take singing lessons and sing in a choir: They become an important support for the choir members. They also contribute to a more beautiful overall sound.
• 28. They make other people happy. Singing a song to someone is 1000 times more valuable than any material gift.
• 29. You could sing beautiful lullabies to your child. This is important for development at a young age. Ask your singing teacher if you can rehearse beautiful lullabies.
• 30. you can sing about your friends at weddings and birthdays. This will certainly be remembered positively for a very long time!
Aesthetic – singing makes beautiful
• 31. You’ll get a nicer speaking voice. In singing lessons the same vocal cords are trained as those you use for speaking. Did you know that singing students at every conservatory get speech lessons?
• Thirty-two. You stay young. Empirically, professional singers look much younger than they are. It may be because the facial muscles are kept fit or because singing simply makes you so happy.
• Thirty-three. You look more beautiful. A beautiful voice sound makes the whole person appear prettier.
Vocational – singing lessons promote professional success
• 34. you can give presentations more easily in your job. There’s no hiding in singing. They learn to “get out” of themselves.
• 35. You’ll never get hoarse again. Especially if you have a speech profession, the voice problems disappear. Tired vocal chords are a thing of the past.
• 36. Singing lessons contribute to success. You get a real motivation kick: You can take it straight into your professional life.
Personality development – voice training and mental development are strongly related to each other
• 37. They’re getting more interesting! What’s the matter with you? In singing lessons you will learn to interpret texts. You can transfer this in your everyday life while speaking. Now everything you tell will be more vivid and exciting!
• 38. Singing lessons can be intellectually very demanding. Especially with the art song you deal exactly with the work. They get into history and work very precisely. Especially with very high-quality compositions, it is worth taking a look at harmony theory.
• 39. They’re getting more sensual. Every physiotherapist, every midwife can confirm that the jaw and pelvic floor muscles are strongly connected. In singing lessons one also works directly with the pelvic floor muscles and the lower abdomen. The conscious handling of these muscles releases tensions. This has an effect on the psyche. Letting go also has a lot to do with sensuality.
• 40. In singing class, you learn acting. Each piece is finally interpreted from the perspective of a protagonist. So you learn very deeply to slip into your role.
• 41. in singing lessons you will learn how to use your breath in such a way that it is conducive to the sound of your voice
• 42. Your voice becomes more sustainable.
• 43. you learn to sing from the body, so your voice will sound fuller and will also carry in the piano.
• 44. you get rid of tension in the mouth area (jaw, lips).
• 45 In singing lessons you will learn how to expand your Dynamic Ambitus. You can then sing louder and softer, swell and diminish tones.
• 46 Finally, your voice becomes more flexible and you learn to master complicated intervals and runs.
• 47. Singing lessons teach you how to use your soft palate. As well as the singing voice and the speaking voice will sound neither flat nor “swallowed to the back”.
• 48. Your singing teacher will show you how you can finally endure long tones.
• 49. They get rid of disturbing breaks in the voice. I’m sure you can sing pieces that were too heavy before.
• 50 In singing lessons you will not only learn to sing high notes, but you will also expand your depth. And again your repertoire expands!
Bonus – Singing lessons have many more advantages…
• 51. They can rehearse their favourite song in singing lessons. It’s much more fun to sing your favourite melodies yourself than just listening to the beautiful sounds.
• 52. it is good when the singing teacher is attentive and attentive to your voice. It is as if he or she were dealing with your deepest core without having to reveal everything about themselves in terms of content.
The most important questions about singing lessons
What do you do in singing class?
Normally, you do introductory exercises first. This is especially important to build the voice. It’s not just about singing yourself “warm” and singing some runs. Certain aspects that need to be improved in the training are specifically taken through in individual singing exercises. They are like small heuristics (very simplified pieces consisting of a few notes) to focus on the essential problem (for example breaks in the voice, vocal equalization, etc.). Such an exercise is usually continued in half steps, so that the learned ability can be transferred to the entire range.
The second step is to work on repertoire. You can work very technically to implement what you learned in the vocal exercises. But you can also work on interpretation, music or acting. This also leads to an improvement of the vocal sound.
What’s the point of singing lessons?
Extremely much: We learn to express what we feel with our voice. To interpret a piece you need technical tools. Of course there are always natural talents. But especially they need a coach, because at some point everyone reaches their limits and can damage their voice. When a private student comes to me, he already learns in the first lesson how to sing a fifth to an octave higher than he thought and the volume is at least doubled. Most of them try to achieve such effects directly through the throat on their own. This can be painful and leads to hoarseness.
What do you learn in singing class?
One learns above all how to sing one’s pieces in such a way that they “come across” as one would like them to. For example, if we sing a love song: How do we make the voice sound in love? There are special tools that you can learn to do that. One learns to articulate, phrase, shape the tones as we bring a piece to life.
How much are singing lessons?
Private singing lessons cost about 30-200€ per hour. Of course I admit that everything over 100€ for a beginner is completely exaggerated: It is however very important to look at the quality and less at the price. In my online workshop I even made an extra video on the topic “Finding a vocal teacher”, because this is the basis for a successful vocal development! If you find a teacher who is quite expensive, but has a perfect connection to you: human and musical and in addition very good singing skills, it makes sense to go to classes once a month and practice at home all the more diligently.
What can you achieve with singing lessons?
You can achieve all your goals. Anyone who has two normal, healthy vocal chords can become a singer. (Most people don’t become singers because they don’t have this incredibly open personality structure.)
Disclaimer: If you take an entrance examination at a conservatory, you have to have a lot of stage experience, be able to play other instruments and give whole concerts. The study can last up to 8 years. Even after that there are singers who are not quite finished after their graduation because the voice still has to mature. So it’s a very hard and long road.
However, very few of them really want to become a singer. You can make progress after one hour. If, for example, you want to perform a beautiful piece in front of friends so that everyone is enthusiastic and enjoys their performance, then you can be sure that a good singing teacher can bring you to your goal, even if you only practice singing as a hobby.
When should you start singing lessons?
Anytime, preferably today! The smartest thing is to take singing lessons before you go in a choir. It’s never too late, by the way: you can also start singing when you reach retirement age. Even with over 80, you can still make good progress. The older you are, the more you have to “unlearn”. Learning to forget is a bit more laborious than learning. What’s that supposed to mean? Usually the jaw is quite tense with over 50 years. (Unless you live on the alp and stroke your sheep every day. ) And breathing often gets higher when we are under stress for years. But don’t worry, for every little problem there is a solution or the appropriate singing exercises.
When is it worth taking singing lessons?
In all cases singing lessons are worthwhile. Not only if you’re looking for a professional career. Even if you are only one of many in the choir: You will learn a technique with which you can sing well into old age and prevent the wear and tear of your voice. Singing lessons are also a lot of fun and a great experience. Provided your singing teacher loves to teach.
When can I start taking singing lessons (with children)?
Children can actually start with 3 years, but very cautiously. The moment your child is really ready to learn and practice, the investment is worth it. Before that it can also take singing lessons, but the lessons must be very informal. The child must be allowed to turn, move as it likes and sing what it likes. Simply to train the musical ear and build a positive relationship with the voice. It is different for each child when they can concentrate and really follow instructions. Some are ready by the age of 4, others by the age of 12. Make sure that the singing teacher is very familiar with children’s voices.
Where’s the singing class?
There are singing lessons everywhere, but the good teachers mostly live in metropolises. Only in big cities you can really live from music as a freelancer. The best singing teachers, by the way, do not have to teach at music schools. Of course, exceptions confirm the rule. In any case, it is very worthwhile to take a long trip to your dream instructor, even if you are a layman.
Why is singing lessons so expensive?
There are very few musicians who have completed a second course of study on the side. Most people don’t physically make it. My friends who have also studied medicine or law all say that studying music is more demanding. In addition, professional musicians must largely do without a normal childhood. So it is clear that one has to expect an academic hourly wage. But the great thing is that singing lessons are worth every cent, as you can see in the list above! To train a voice means happiness in life and is not to be paid for in the world.
How do I learn to sing without singing lessons?
You are welcome to do this online workshop, there you have enough to do and make nice progress. Bet you’ll want more and find a great teacher in your city.
How long do you have to take singing lessons?
That depends on how big your goals are. In any case, you should take singing lessons until the voice can vibrate freely and you no longer get hoarse. That varies from person to person. Experience shows that this takes 1-6 years.
How often should you take singing lessons?
As a hobby singer once a week makes sense. If you want to be a pro, it’s more like three times a week. Of course, this depends on your goals. Even as a layman, you will make better progress if you take singing lessons more often, as your teacher can correct you directly and thus prevent mistakes from creeping in. But as I said: It is better to have very good lessons once a month than 3 times a week somehow.
How long does singing class last?
Usually 60 minutes. Many teachers also offer 30 or 45 minutes. However, 60 minutes is the best time to achieve your goals. If you want longer lessons, you should already be advanced: a voice that is not completely free does not have good endurance.
How do I give singing lessons?
In my online workshop you will receive many valuable tips. However, I ask you from the bottom of your heart not to give singing lessons if you are not a professional singer. In return, I promise you that I will not construct the next aircraft in which you will fly soon, nor will I carry out your upcoming nose operation myself.